Friday, November 17, 2006

little boys and distant homes



Last night I started to read the book, "Shake hands with the devil" by Romeo Dallaire. He starts his introduction off with the story of a little boy. He was driving through a rough part of Rwanda, one that had been completely destroyed by the Hutu's went through and either killed everyone or drove them out, when a little boy appeared on the road. This little Rwanda boy, was covered in dirt, smelling like rotting bodies, with a small biscuit. Finally, when LGen Dallaire found the young man who was taking care of him, Romeo was sure he wanted to take this little child home with him and give him a loving household to live in. Romeo never did end up bringing the boy home, but that image will stick with him forever.
I was asked today by someone if I had a son. I thought that was a sill question, being only a few weeks short of my 18th birthday, but it got me thinking. There are 13 Million orphaned children in this world. 13 million children having no home to call their own. I cannot imagine not having a house of my own to walk into every day after school, or a mother to spill my problems to, or a father who would go play ball with me. These children need a family, and there are so many people with the resources to adopt, but choose not to.
So do I have a son? No. I hope I do someday though.
Do I want him to be my own flesh and blood? I don't know.
I want to help give these children a hope. A new life.
How do I do that? I don't know. I am only 18. For now all I have it
Prayer.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Dalliere's book is fantastic, the best book about the Rwandan genocide and essential reading for anyone that wants to study the UN. Samantha Power's book a Problem From Hell is also outstanding.

The trouble with adopting kids out of situations like this is that if you take all the children out of a country that has just lost 1 million people the country collapses. The children of Rwanda are needed in Rwanda, they are essential to taking the country the next step in healing after genocide.

Amy said...

And I know that. Which is also what scares me a little bit. Because for all the money I could spend on going there and adopting a child, could be better put towards improving the orphanages in the country. Will I adopt a child from another country? I don't know. I think first there are some here who need to be adopted, but I definetly know that I have a heart for them.
(I love this book by the way, it's hard to read with exams and a whole bunch of papers to write, but I can't put it down)
And Jimmy, I don't want you to have to make me one. I would love it, but please do not feel obliged

bethany the brave said...

hey amy you should let me borrow that book when you're done with it, it sounds really interesting, right now i am reading a book called inside afghanistan and it's about a christian who is working with refugees there and it is also an amazing book, it opens your eyes, i enjoy reading about things like that even though it can be hard to, i just don't want to read and not ever do anything about it though...ok i'm done rambling