Monday, November 06, 2006

burnt toast and roasted onions




As I was waiting for my Themes test to be picked up today my mind swayed back to late summer in my Quispamsis Superstore. I was shopping for groceries in preperation to make a meal full of Jamaican Chicken, Sweet Potatoe Fries, Green Beans, Honey Carrots, long grain and wild rice, and chocolate cheescake. Anyways, while looking for the best garlic I could find a man suddenly started talking to me. I do not remember how we got talking bt he started explaining to me how to make "real chicken". He said that chicken should not have to be marinated (I personally disagree), and that all I should need is corn flakes, milk, a little shacking and an oven. He told me of how to cook everything, and make it a real meal. He explained how I should clean my house before, and I ended up talking to him for half an hour. Leaving his presence I had an awkward contentment in my stomach. Although some people may call his behavior "weird and assumptive", I really enojoyed how he took his time out of his day to teach someone else. My journey with him was not yet over though. While searching for olive oil, I met him in the isles again and proceeded to teach me to how to properly make my house smell good, what kind of oil I should use, and what makes a fantastic dessert. He told me some of his story, how he used to run a bread and breakfast and how if you want people to discover your hunger you burn toast in the morning or fry onions at lunch or supper. He gave me a bag of cinnamon and told me to cook it on the stove and my house would smell fantastic. I have not seen that man since I left that store. My meal tasted great, and my house smelled fantastic. I never tried his chicken recipe, and I did marinate my chicken, but that man will remain in my mind forever. He took the time out of his day to teach me something. I didn't take all of his cooking advice, but his genuinity and kindness was the real lesson that I learned. So, if this ever reaches you, man in the Superstore, I thank you. I thank you for being willing to give us a chance, to listen and to talk to a complete stranger. You will not be forgotten.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, your posts are always so dramatic. :) Wonderful.

I would not like chicken with Corn Flakes. I don't really like my chicken to have a crust, I like it when it is really tender all the way through. Shaking and Baking it dries it out I find. My fav chicken is just placed in a frying pan for a while then pour some curry sauce or peanut sauce or stirfry sauce or whatever over it for flavour. YUM. My fav is peanut curry.

Anonymous said...

PS - We'd make you some if you loved me and would come to visit me instead of hanging out with your ex. You know, if you came down this long weekend, not only would you meet Matt, but you'd meet his younger brother who is down from Wales.

Anonymous said...

wow, this real really showed me something. im to got at reading your blogg, sorry :) . but at the same time i realzied how amazing of a band Mat Kearney he's fantsic !
every buy or atleast listen to his cd !